Wednesday, July 22, 2009

The purple Lightsaber gambit or "How I managed to give George Lucas yet ANOTHER $20 bucks"...

My son will undoubtedly love Star Wars - not just because it is encoded into his DNA, but because he's a little boy and little boys love Star Wars. Specifically, Lightsabers. Sure, blasters are cool as is choking someone you don't like with your mind, but there's nothing quite like the subtle hum and brilliant glow of a lightsaber. An elegant weapon, for a more civilized age if you will. Little boys (and some bigger boys) will always want one of their own to play with, and until such time as someone actually figures out a way to completely violate the laws of physics and come up with a real life Lightsaber the toys are the closest thing we get to have.

Enter my quest to have a purple Lightsaber on hand for Macias when he's ready. Why purple? Well, I hadn't given it much thought for some reason, but it was recently made clear to me that he's going to want one. My boss's boss's son asked me if "Mace" was named after Mace Windu, the Jedi from Star Wars. I explained that he his name is Macias, but yes his nickname will be (already is I guess) Mace. He then joked that I was going to have to give him my purple Lightsaber, referring to my Force FX Mace Windu 'saber. It will be a few years (like, thirty) before he gets to use Daddy's Lightsabers, but I decided that I had better be ready with something when the time comes - as soon as he sees his (sort of) namesake on the big screen with his purple Lightsaber (it's the one that says BMF) he'll expect one of his own.

So a few weeks ago I finally spotted the toy Mace Windu purple Lightsaber in Target, and picked it up immediately. I did notice however, that it wasn't the same one from Episode 2 and 3 - it was his Lightsaber from Episode 1, which we never actually see him use and according to Wookiepedia is in fact blue. Now, this is the sort of thing that only a hardcore Star Wars nerd would be bothered by, so I decided that Macias wouldn't care about the hilt as long as the blade was purple and plunked down the dough. Then our friends Jeff and LeeAnn came over one night with their son Jake, who was memorized by the various Starship Enterprises strewn about the living room. Jeff would later tell me that he almost bought the Enterprise toy from the new movie, but Jake didn't want it because he knew it was different from the older Enterprise models that he played with at my house. In the back of my mind, I made a mental note that Macias might take similar notice of his Lightsaber since it wasn't the same as the Jedi Master's.

Naturally, George sensed my frustration and had his minions create a purple Mace Windu toy Lightsaber from Episode 2 and sent it to the Bluffton, SC Target to help me out. He is only charging me another $20 for the privilege. Honestly, if Macias is anything like his old man, not only would he notice that he didn't have the correct purple lightsaber, but might even be openly disappointed by that fact. Better not to risk it I say...now he can have the real deal. Kinda.

And yes, I'm aware I'm quite insane. But he's worth it.

4 comments:

Bill Wheatley said...

Boy are you going to be disappointed when mace doesn't like something you think he will have engrained in his DNA lol.

Uploads some more pics of the tyke will ya :P

Allison Bonner said...

by the time he's a teenager he'll like the Raiders just to spite you. too many expectations are dangerous...

Jeff Vrabel said...

Once again, I shake my head in stunned silence that you will be someone's primary male role model.

Heather said...

LOL...I guess we can only hope that our kids like the things we like, but I have seen the evolution of my cousin's daughter firsthand and seen her do everything "opposite" of what her mom liked "just because". :o) She is now 11 and the fun keeps coming. So I see Allison's point of view as well. Good luck!