Saturday, July 18, 2009

An open letter to the junior Senator from South Carolina...

The following was e-mailed to Sen. DeMint through his website. I'm posting it here in case the jack-booted thugs come to my door you all will know who to blame...


Sen. DeMint:

I have never written to you before, even though I've been tempted to because of an incident several years ago in which your Mother falsely accused my Mother-In-Law of stealing from her office and made her spend a night in jail. As that was a personal issue that has since been settled I ultimately decided not to contact you. Your subsequent statements and actions through the years have irritated me greatly, but I usually take what you and the rest of the extreme-right have to say with grain of salt. So you can imagine that you must have really stepped in it this time if I feel compelled to contact you....

The Washington Post quotes you as having said on July 17th during a conference call with conservative activists, "If we're able to stop Obama on this, it will be his Waterloo" and "It will break him." If this quote is indeed accurate then may I ask...

What is wrong with you? People all across our state need access to quality, affordable health care. My Mother worked on Hilton Head for $10 an hour for nearly eight years as a receptionist. Her subsequent yearly thrity-cent-per-hour raises obviously couldn't keep up with rising health care premiums. As you can probably guess, that wage doesn't go very far on Hilton Head, especially not for a single woman, and she struggled mightily to stay afloat. Here was a person who did everything you Conservatives say she's supposed to do - worked hard, lived within her means, never looked for a hand-out - but couldn't afford to go to the Doctor when she got sick.

She is one of the people you were sent to represent the interests of to the federal government. No matter what policy difference you have with the President on the issue of health care, she and every other single Mom who has sacrificed everything for her children deserve much, much more from their United States Senator. May I suggest that instead of sitting in on conference calls with your friends and scoring cheap political points, you use your position to help come to a compromise with Senate Democrats that will help my Mother and the millions more around our country like her be able to live a long, healthy and happy life.

Sincerely,
Morgan Bonner

PS - I see President Obama trying to help people like my Mother. I see you actively trying to stop him. That should give you an idea of who I'll be voting for when you are up for re-election next year.

No comments: