Monday, June 01, 2009

Nothing left to do but obsess...

The calendar has officially turned to June and Allison has reached full term, which means that any day now I will meet my son. People keep asking me if I'm ready - if they mean am I ready to go to the Hospital, then yes. The bag is packed, the car seat is installed, all gadgets are fully charged, my co-workers are (in theory) ready for me to be out for two weeks, etc. If they're asking if I'm ready to be a Father the answer is...I think so.

Allison and I recently had a discussion about what we would do if he brought home a few C's or D's on his report card one day. As the Smarty McSmartypants in the family, she would be upset and concerned about such a performance, and would seek to rectify the situation immediately. As someone who once or twice brought home a C or a D himself (Algebra, Physics and Spanish were, shall we say, a struggle for me) I would be far less disappointed. I realize and agree with the importance of a well-rounded education, but if he shows zero interest in Chemistry it isn't the end of the world if he has a hard time memorizing the Periodic table (btw Krypton is the one one I remember, for obvious reasons). Is this going to be my parenting style? Will it be logical to expect him to react to things the way I did, even though our circumstances will undoubtedly be much different? Can I strike the correct balance between being an authority figure and his best friend? What if he doesn't like Star Wars?! Blerg!

Anyway, in the last few days before his arrival these are the things I find myself obsessing over pondering. Oddly, the various scenarios that run though my head are all way down the road in his teenage years - I'm not sure why I'm way more concerned about those days rather than the more immediate future of vomit, poo and insomnia. The only thing I can think of is that my own Father wasn't there for my teenage years and I feel as though I have no template to go by, which is scary. I do wonder what he was thinking a little over thirty-one years ago - I sure wish I could ask him. My guess is that he was a little freaked out, but quietly confident that he would know what to do when the time came. Come to think of it, perhaps I have a template after all....

3 comments:

Heather said...

You will be a great father! I never thought of the possibility that one of yours or even mine and Will's future offspring wouldn't or couldn't like Star Wars...that's just not acceptable. :o)

Bill Wheatley said...

Bones you will be a great dad. Just follow your heart. As for your kid he will probably like the raiders. :) Heh my dad was so pissed when i said i liked the redskins and here we are 20 years later and he cheers for them for me a bit :)

love you man. you should have your package in a few days

Robyn said...

You'll know what to do when the time comes, trust me.

And if not, there's always Google.