Tuesday, June 16, 2009

Fatherhood - Day 5

It occurs to me that we should have four or five Mother's Day's every year. Allison is amazing - she hasn't slept for more than ninety minutes at a time and no more than twelve hours in five days, yet whenever the clock rolls around to feeding time she's ready to go. I don't know how she's doing it at this point (I don't think the Cream of Wheat and frozen pizzas I'm "cooking" for her are the key ingredients) but doing it she is. As for me, my role is mostly caregiver at this point, which at times is very frustrating for a workaholic. My innate need to be productive is not satisfied by cooking and cleaning, especially not when the baby is crying and I can't seem to make him stop (btw, we have these ear plugs in the press hall to help with the noise when it's running. I swiped a couple for use when he's fussy and can safely say it was the smartest thing I've done since Thursday - much easier to concentrate on diaper changes when you can barely hear him screaming in your face). In any case, whenever I get frustrated I stop and think "well Morgan, what would you be doing right now if he wasn't here?" and the answer is almost always something that I've done a million times before and take very little joy in. It only gets easier from there...

Some manner of sleep aid thing I blew $20 on before he peed on it...

I always took for granted the ability to burp myself until now...

Fish PJ's! Nice!

3 comments:

Robyn said...

Mothers are, indeed, amazing. In addition to telling Allison that in a million little ways, call your mother and thank her, too, because now you've been given a bird's eye view of what SHE did for YOU all those years ago. :)

The little bugger's pretty darn cute. Hang in there guys...

Heather said...

You guys are pros at this already! And Mace is one lucky little boy to have parents like you!

jayna said...

Morgan, I gotta say:

You're a kick-A dad, just like I knew you would be. Thanks for taking such good care of my best girl!