Sunday, March 29, 2009

31st Birthday

Kind of a strange day. Started out with me being sick as a dog - had the horrible sore throat, unidentified green goo all over the place and enough pressure in my head to lift it into orbit. I stumbled out of bed to find my lovely wife had made me my favorite cake - Chocolate with raspberry jelly - but had done so in a very handy and portable cupcake form factor. Unbeknownst to me she also used the cure for the common head cold in the ingredients, because within an hour of eating that cupcake I was back to about 85%. We departed for Savannah and day two of our child-birthing class, where a day after seeing a video of a normal vaginal birth I was treated to a video of a normal c-section. Let's just say neither was imagery I particularly ever need to see again. Still, I learned a lot and was comforted by the stories (both happy and sad) that the nurse practitioner who led the class told the group - you definitely got the sense that the hospital staff had seen and done it all when delivering a baby, and that everything would be ok. After the class was over we headed home and while sitting at a red light on Oglethorpe we heard the telltale screech of someone slamming on their breaks - just in time to witness a woman getting hit by said car while riding her bike. Just like in the movies - the sound was the same, she hit the windshield then rolled down the hood and hit the pavement. I pulled over on the side of the street and Allison called 911 (who strangely didn't pick up until about the 8th ring). One of the benefits of living in a city - the cops were there in about three minutes, and the ambulance in less than five. Hopefully the woman was ok - we could tell that she was moving around, but wasn't getting up. Anyway, from there we went and saw possibly the worst movie anyone who just witnessed someone nearly dying could see, and that was "Knowing". If we had it to do over again, we'd prolly see Monsters vs. Aliens and call it a day. An end-of-the-world thriller wasn't exactly what the Doctor ordered. From there, it was time to go to work, as tomorrow is the first combined Packet/Gazette section and I needed to be there to make sure things go swimmingly. So like I said, kind of a strange day. Though, it will probably pale in comparison to my 32nd birthday, when I will have a nine month old to hang out with! Weird!

4 comments:

Brian said...

Wow, combined issues of the Packzette. Or is it Gazket? Whatever, I guess it was only a matter of time.

How's it working out?

Morgan Bonner said...

We're replating the front and jump for both papers, so the Gazette and Packet are still separate. Every inside page however will be the same for both papers. We will of course have the requisite bitching from the community members who think the world revolves around them, but hopefully overall it will be a positive development and help us get through this rough patch.

Heather said...

Was the Baskin Robbins guy part of your "special day"? LOL

Brian said...

Sports and Features covers same for both, too? Combined classifieds?