Friday, July 11, 2008

Taking my first step into a larger world....

When the Packet recently announced a round of layoffs, I felt completely helpless. As in, I do my job, I do my old job, but I don't affect anything outside the walls of the Packet building. I started to think about what I could do to help out, if anything. A few days later, for some reason it just popped into my head that during my guest appearance on the PopCast during the time they were making fun of me I defensively said something to the effect of "well screw you guys I'm going to start my own podcast...". I was joking at the time, but then I begin to think....why not start my own? But not just for the hell of it - a podcast that could eventually be monetized to help out with all problems our paper and our industry is going through right now, if only in some small way.

And so "DataPackets" was born....I wanted to name it "Packet Sniffing" (a technical term for the non-IT professionals in the audience) but thought that the show wouldn't be taken seriously. In any case, it's a weekly tech news show, where myself and the other techies at the Packet will offer commentary, reviews, tips and tricks, and in the future be able to answer reader questions (so if you have tech question....e-mail the show). My only regret is that I didn't do this sooner, and that way could have involved awesome guests like these every week.

So do me a favor and follow THIS LINK RIGHT HERE to the show's webpage. Do me a second favor and subscribe to the show in iTunes following the handy link provided on the page. Happy listening!

3 comments:

Brian said...

I would still be happy to be a guest. In fact, now that Chris, Randy and I are in the same part of the country, we could meet up so you could patch us in at once. Of course, all we would do is make fun of you.

Speaking of getting together, sorry we missed you last weekend, Randy. Hope Anne's feeling better.

Brian said...

But I don't think I could last all 70 minutes. I'd make it through the opening monologue, but I'd probably be asleep before the musical guest.

Bill Wheatley said...

you can skype me in anytime bubba!