Friday, July 25, 2008

No words....

Here's a fascinating article on just what lengths Bush Co. and the Military will go to just to keep images of soldiers KIA in Iraq from the public. I had to read the line “after five years and more than 4,000 American combat deaths, searches and interviews turned up fewer than a half-dozen graphic photographs of dead American soldiers” twice to make sure I had it right. There is also a slide show of the known photos that have made it out of Iraq. I'm not going to tell you you should look at it. It's your choice.

I have the utmost respect for the families of these soldiers and also can accept the Army's position of not giving the enemy an idea of their effectiveness to a point. However, I also think that every person who supported this war in the beginning, and most certainly those dead-enders who continue to think it was a good idea should look at these images – and then tell me with a straight face it was the right thing to do.

4 comments:

Bill Wheatley said...

Seeing those images is not going to change anyone's mind. If those were pictures of soldiers in afghanistan would you feel that we should not have gone into there either? I didn't think it was a smart idea to get into iraq but soldiers in a hostile environment will result in death.

If i or someone i loved were to be killed in combat i wouldn't want anyone to see a photograph of it. It's not appriopriate.

Morgan Bonner said...

But that's exactly the point – if these were images from Afghanistan the emotional impact would be completely different, because we all knew and supported the cause they fought for.

I wouldn't like it either, but if it helped to make sure that in the future the press would do it's job and the government wouldn't launch a war of choice that would get thousands of people killed for no good reason, I'd make my peace with it.

Bill Wheatley said...

I suppose it would be refreshing to see more freedom for journalists in combat zones.

I guess they are trying to make sure support for the war doesn't dip.

Bill Wheatley said...

http://www.drhorrible.com/mushortio.html

watch this video let me know