Friday, May 02, 2008

This is what happens when you gamble....

When the Avalanche beat the Wild last week to advance to the second round of the NHL playoffs, they earned a matchup with the Red Wings. Now, the Avs and Red Wings HATE each other (a good history of the feud can be found here, although it's more than a little biased towards the Wings), and the fans take their cue from the teams. So when it became apparent that they were going to play in the playoffs for the first time in 6 years, I marched right on down to the office of our Managing Editor, Sally Mahan to let her know what I thought of her team, her city, her fellow fans and that stupid octopus. A little trash talk ensued, and before I knew it a wager was being made. Whoever's team lost the series had to wear the opponents jersey at work on Friday. Now, when I made that bet I thought the Avs had a great chance to win, but before the series even started Forsberg got hurt, then Stasny went down, then Ryan Smyth - and freakin' José Theodore had the flu during the first two games. By the end of the series the Wings were pretty much playing the Denver All-Stars, and swept Colorado accordingly 4 games to none. As a man of my word, I showed up to her office this morning to suffer the consequences of losing my poorly-timed wager. I wasn't nearly as happy as I appear to be in this photo. Seriously - that hideous looking jersey burned my skin. Disgusting.

2 comments:

Brian said...

You look good in red.

Bill Wheatley said...

HAHAH loser!