Thursday, March 13, 2008

Putting the D I E in diet

Lately I have noticed my weight starting to increase - I was holding steady at 165 lbs. for a long time, but over the last two months have been creeping up towards 170. A few days ago I got on the scale and my jaw dropped when it read back to me "172.4". The problem can almost certainly be traced back to my increased consumption of Mountain Dew. Now, I loves me some Mountain Dew - I love the taste, I love the color, I love the logo - all of it. Ever since the last time I went on a diet, I have been mostly successful at drinking all those wonderful empty calories in moderation, but over the last few months I've been going nuts with it. One 24 oz. bottle a day at work, then a glass with lunch whenever I'm out somewhere that has it. Clearly, it has caught up to me - it was a fun ride while it lasted.

Having no desire to return to my Popeye's weight of 180 lbs., I have begun another diet. A Slim-Rite for breakfast, Subway for lunch (cold cut sub, no cheese, no mayo, baked Lays and a water), then either another shake or a bowl of cereal for dinner. The goal is to stay right around 1,000-1,200 calories for the day. After two days, I'm already back down to 170.9, so I am on the right track. However, I want a freakin' Mt. Dew in the worst way. I mean, I'm craving it. Is this how smokers feel when trying to quit?! It SUCKS. There are four 24 oz. bottles in the fridge at work, and I've already had to resist the urge to down one several times today. Still, I've made a pact with myself (no new Dew until I'm back to 165) and I intend to keep it.

But on that magical day....I swear to the Prophets I'm going to bathe in it. Seriously. I'm going to fill up the tub with Mt. Dew and drink and swim and frolic in it. Then when I'm done with that I'm gonna go to the store and buy all the new flavors when they come out, and shower daily with those. Mmmm.....Dew.....

2 comments:

Bill Wheatley said...

HAHA that stuff makes my reflux really bad. I don't drink soda much at all. It's not dew withdrawal its caffeine withdrawal. Lack of caffeine will cause headaches and other issues. It's a drug like any other and its easy to become addicted.

Write to Dew and have them make a no caffeine version.

Heather said...

I don't know if you like Subway's wraps, but if you do...a turkey, or turkey and ham, or the sweet onion chicken teryaki wraps are even lower in calories. I only know this cuz I did weight watchers previously (and need to again). We won't say how close I am to your current weight. Ugh!! A man that weighs almost as much as me...that's just WRONG in SO many ways! Damn Will for making me so comfortable...lol.