Wednesday, February 27, 2008

New Baby

As soon as Apple announced the availability of a 32GB iPod Touch, I knew it was not a question of if I would get one, but when. Knowing that I wanted to have one for our vacation to Boise and Denver in a month, I decided to go ahead and pull the trigger. She arrived today from Amazon, and was up and running in no time. It is every bit as awesome as you might think, however I quickly discovered a seriously annoying problem - when listening to music, you can view your album artwork in "Cover Flow". Well, guess who's album art collection is seriously out of date....it very quickly became unacceptable to have a generic icon instead of the actual album artwork. This lead to a several-hour-long process of using iTunes and Amazon to collect artwork - and I only got through 300 or so songs. In any case, album art aside, I am really looking forward to this device - not so much as an iPod, but a true mobile computing platform. Apple will release the SDK for the iPhone and iPod Touch on March 6th, and I expect the Mac developer community will come up with some truly amazing software that will make people's lives a lot easier. I personally am hoping for a really good RSS reader, and maybe some day in the future some manner of Apple Remote Desktop so I can control my computer at work from the palm of my hand....

1 comment:

Bill Wheatley said...

Yea having my windows mobile phone has been awesome being able to use RDP from the palm of my hands. A few years ago when the superbowl was in miami i was in south beach and a server died! So i was able to SSH in from the phoen to fix it then i had to login to my desktop to im my customer so they knew. Itw as nice not having to drive back home!