Wednesday, January 16, 2008

Losing my mad skillz...

I recently purchased a Nintendo Wii and immediately discovered the Wii Virtual Console which allows you to download old Nintendo, Super Nintendo, and Genesis games. I promptly bought some Wii points (even though it's been out for over a year, every time I type Wii I still chuckle) and downloaded some of the games I played as a kid. The Ninja Gaiden series in particular was (and still is) one of my favorites - I remember hours spent holed up in my room, trying to walk the path of the Ninja. I also remember how frickin' hard it was (it was famous for making you start all the way at the beginning of the level if you died fighting the boss) and how proud I was of myself when I finally defeated the Jaquio. Well, flash forward 19 years - I made it all the way to stage six, and that's as far as I've gotten. I mean, I can't get past this one level no matter how hard I try. I can't seem to anticipate when the street thug guy is going to throw his knife at me, or remember when the weird devil dog is going to attack me from behind, despite the fact that it attacks me in the same place each time.

This got me to thinking - what has happened? Aren't I in the prime of my life right now? Shouldn't I be able to breeze through this game and any other game two decades old? I'm already nervous enough about turning 30 - I didn't really need another reason to feel old age starting to creep up on me. At this rate I wonder if I could even beat Super Star Wars anymore. Sigh...growing old sucks.

5 comments:

Brian Dearth said...

Would it be wrong to suggest that someone in the prime of his life should be doing something other than playing 20 year old video games? :)

Morgan Bonner said...

Hmm....spoken like someone who has been married for less than a year....

Bill Wheatley said...

Come on bones you can do better then that. :)

Allison Bonner said...

hey! was that a shot!?!

HJ said...

OK...I know we only met once but I read this blog and had to comment. Bill purchased that game for me as well (because I too once tried desperately to walk the path of the ninja) and to my utter dismay...I SUCKED! I remember in my youth doing much better...I mean, it was one of my favorite games. Since I just turned 33 it disheartens me to think that maybe...just maybe...you get worse as you get older. :o) BTW...I also got Shadow Dancer for the playstation 2...not sure if you played that one as well, but it was even better in my opinion due to the cool white wolf you had as a partner. Take care!!