Friday, January 25, 2008

Happy Anniversary Denver!

It was ten years ago today that the Broncos defeated the Packers, 31-24 in Super Bowl XXXII. I remember it as if it were yesterday - specifically the final play. 4th and 6, Farve goes back to pass....John Mobley knocks it down....and I along with every Bronco player, former player, fan and the entire state of Colorado went nuts. I ran out of my room jumping up and down, and gave my Mother and Grandmother probably the biggest hugs I had ever given them in my life. Some years later someone asked me what the happiest moment of my life was, and I pointed to that moment. Now, I got in trouble for saying that, as some people can't understand why watching my football team win a game would be the happiest moment of my life. But those people didn't live through not just the four previous Super Bowl losses, but the humiliation inflicted upon us poor Bronco fans. They weren't with me when my friends called me to laugh at me at halftime of Super Bowl XXIV, when the 49ers were already ahead 27-3. They didn't go to school with me the day after Super Bowl XXII in Maryland, when every single Redskins fan stopped me in the hallway to make fun. At the moment Farve's pass hit the ground, the weight of all those awful Super Sunday's was lifted off my shoulders in an instant, and the moment itself was pure joy. They went on to win the Super Bowl the next year which was great, but there was nothing like that first moment. I can't believe it's been a decade - happy anniversary to every Bronco fan out there who hugged someone they loved that day.

2 comments:

Brian Dearth said...

Does it count that I was happy about that game not because the Broncos won, but because the Packers lost?

amanda finney said...

Morgan, I thought I'd pass on this great comment my friend in KC felt like sharing with me..."In case of a tornado, we are supposed to gather at Arrowhead Stadium. A touchdown is so unlikely there, it would be the safest place to be." :-)