Sunday, March 25, 2007

Worky work busy bee

So yeah, been working a lot these last few weeks. I pulled an all-nighter two Friday's ago, then this past Friday I didn't leave until 4AM. Now that we've hired a replacement for the woman who left, and the other two members of my department are back from their vacations, I'm looking forward to a far more sane few weeks - at least until Heritage comes along, when we'll print our biggest paper of the year.

Some things I've discovered working 75+ hours a week....

People who get paid overtime should never complain about....well, anything.

Time really does fly - when you're busy. That first friday I looked at the clock when the last of my help left for the night - that was 10:30PM. The next time I happened to check the clock, it was 4:30AM.

You only tend to eat when you remember that you have to or you'll die.

Things that would normally piss you off during a 40 hour work week don't really bother you at all, because everything else is so completely and utterly messed up.

The things that are normally very important and exciting to you stop being so important and exciting. At some point during the last two weeks (I can't remember which day) I received a new MacBook for use at work. What would normally cause me to have an instant Mac-Geek-gasm instead was still sitting in it's box days later.

You really, really cherish your weekends - which makes it all the more irritating when you get called by work during said weekend.

Shaving becomes optional.

Last but certainly not least....you might just have one seriously irritated wife at home who isn't all that happy with your employer.

While I've certainly had my share of "OMFG what the hell have I got myself into" moments, there have been plenty of positives as well....

I've learned so much about the production side of things that combined with my IT skillz, I feel as though I could make the whole paper myself. That is a pretty nice feeling.

There are some very cool people in the press and mail rooms - people that I otherwise would never have gotten to know because they work at night.

I have a new found respect for the people in my department - what they go through on a daily basis, how they are blamed for things that go wrong but never praised for what goes right. Well, I certainly have made it a point to praise them for the job they did these last two weeks, under very difficult circumstances.

There's more of course, but I had better get to bed. Another week at the Packet is about to start. It will have it's ups and downs, its "HOLY SH*T how are we going to get the paper out" moment, and someone will turn in a late ad (or 20).

But I still couldn't see myself doing this anywhere else.

1 comment:

Bill Wheatley said...

Think back to the days of abc :)