Thursday, February 01, 2007

My good deed for the year

Today I was 3rd in line at the Bank of America ATM to deposit some checks - everything was going smoothly, and I had the rare pleasure of seeing not one but both people ahead of me seem to have no problem operating the machine. The guy in front of me left, and I was all ready to do my thing....until I got up to the ATM and the screen read "Would you like another transaction?"

Having seen this screen myself numerous times, I knew it meant that the dude ahead of me had left his card in the ATM. Without thinking, I hit the "NO" button, ejected his card and put in mine. I did my thing, parked the car, and went inside to give the BoA droid the dude's card. It was only after walking out the door did it dawn on me that I could have very easily hit "YES" and helped myself to some of his money. It also then dawned on me that had I done so my face would have undoubtedly been plastered on "WANTED" posters all over Bluffton thanks to the ATM camera and transaction logs, so it was probably a good idea that I didn't do that. But more than anything, I was proud of myself that it took me a good 3 minutes to realize that I could have done something nefarious. I guess my Momma done raised me right - thanks Mom!

3 comments:

mom said...

That my very good boy, I'm real proud of ya.

Allison Bonner said...

unfortunately, you didn't take on that there good grammer.

Bill said...

Blah you didn't sit outside in the cold for an hour waiting for lee and gary's mom and dad to come by in the bishopville ambulance to pick up an old dude who broke his hip. It was cold and i missed the start of the broncos redskins game which the damn bronocs won anyway.

Morale of the story is we're both good people bones.