Wednesday, February 21, 2007

Basket-brawl

Ok, so as you may remember from a few posts back I joined my fellow Packet All-Stars in a 3-on-3 basketball rec league on Hilton Head. Since that first game we've managed to go 0-5, and tend to lose by an average of 78 points per game. Strangely enough, we seem to struggle against dudes who are all bigger/faster/stronger than us. Still, we play hard and have fun, and last week we only lost by 14 points. Or was it 24 points? Anyway, last night we played a team comprised solely of NBA lottery picks. Seriously - these dudes were insane. As much as we were impressed by their mad skillz, we were equally irritated by their showboating nature. I think it started when they were up 40-8 after the first 4 minutes. They were trying to dunk on us, ally-oops, no-look passes - you name it, they were doing it to us. I started to get a little honked-off - I mean, nobody that I know of likes to get shown up. Once they realized we weren't exactly in the same league as them, they should have turned down their game a few notches. Instead, not only did they keep up with their Harlem Globetrotters act, they also start to run their mouths, talking about how they wanted to score 200 points on us. With about 10 minutes to go in the game, things started to get ugly. First one of their players started to hassle Maureen - I didn't see what happened to start it, but I did see her throw the ball at the jackass and say "Don't call me baby". Apparently he said much worse to her, but we didn't hear it, which was fortunate for him. Then I got out there - now, I was already irritated beyond words about being blown out and shown up at the same time, and then to add injury to insult one of their other players hit me so hard while going for a rebound that he bent my glasses - while they were still on my freakin' face. Needless to say, I didn't appreciate that, so the next time I got the ball and he was all over me, I gave him a well-deserved elbow to the face as he was trying to steal the ball from me. After the next dead ball he came up to me and let me know he didn't like my elbow to his face. I took the opportunity to let him know I didn't like him hitting me as hard as he did, I didn't like him and his teammates running up the score on us, and I also may have made mention of his questionable parentage. So we were face to face, nose to nose, and before we could get each others address to exchange Christmas cards, our teammates separated us. I looked up into the stands and saw Allison with her head in her hands. I think she was afraid I was about to die. Anyway, I went out of the game at that point, and didn't see exactly what happened next: I saw the ball bounce off one of my teammates head, and then I saw him go after one of their players whom he thought threw the ball at him. At that point the benches emptied onto the floor and the crowd came out of the stands to break up the melee. No punches were actually exchanged (that I saw) but the one rec center dude ended the game with about 2 minutes left and told us all to leave.

Overall, I really didn't like the way the game played out, but I'm proud of my team for standing up for ourselves and not taking their crap. Much like what my beloved Nuggets went through last December (ok, not that much like), when a bully is pushing you around you simply have to push back. Fighting may not be the right thing to do, but the sad reality is that sometimes it's necessary. While we might not win any games in this league, we will at least be taken seriously - or someone will pay dearly....

3 comments:

Chris said...

That's right! Packet All-Stars don't take no shit!

Bill Wheatley said...

Poor Bones

Bill said...

I know you didn't just shoot that grain shit at me!

Later translated to...
I know you didn't just shoot that green shit at me!

LOL good times..Bring back any fond memories?