Sunday, December 17, 2006

The GOAT

So I just spent the last hour of my Saturday and the first hour of my Sunday on the phone with the Packet. They couldn't get page 7A to print, and my services were called upon. I have literally been called to fix problems with pages at night hundreds of times over the nearly 8 total years I've been at the Packet. In all that time, I've never not been able to print the page in question. I've seen it all - or so I thought. Tonight's problem was unlike anything I've ever encountered. Nothing, and I mean NOTHING I tried got the page to print. I won't bore you with the details - suffice-it-to-say, I thought tonight would be the first time ever that I wouldn't be able to fix the problem, and a page just wouldn't print. As a last resort, I called Chris to see if he could rescue me. I'm sure that I woke him up but he was ready to go instantly (this compares to yours truly, who when woken up by the Packet normally takes 2-to-3 minutes to remember what I do for a living, let alone ready to problem solve). He calmly listened to me recite the steps I had taken to try to print the page and then said "Ok - why don't you try to send the page with the publication info set to a page that has already printed". Sure enough, that did the trick. I let the man get back to bed, called the Packet back and told them the page was on its way.

Even though Rule of Acquisition number 33 clearly states that it never hurts to suck up to the boss, that is not the objective of this post. Instead, it is merely a tribute to a fellow IT professional who has once again saved the day. Here's to ya boss - you truly are the GOAT (greatest of all time).

No comments: