Saturday, August 19, 2006

If it's popular, chances are I'll hate it

So I just got done watching "The Big Lebowski" for the first time. I have been told by numerous people over the years that this movie was pure genius, and that I would love it. In exchange for a true comic masterpiece, Airplane! 2, Brian lent us the DVD.

Can someone please tell me what the fuss was all about? I hated this movie. It sucked. It was worse than Batman and Robin (now that's saying something). It had no point. No point whatsoever. I didn't laugh. Not once. In fact, I cried at the thought that I was never getting those two hours back in my life. I went online to try to determine what was so special about this movie - I came across quotes like this:

"One of the best comedies of the nineties, and the best film thus far from the Coen Brothers."

"The comedy here is sometimes so sharp that you could roll in the aisle with laughter and not seem any odder than the characters you see onscreen."

"After seeing and enjoying Lebowksi at least four times over the years, I can plainly see why the movie freaks have embraced this off-kilter comedy so enthusiastically."

Apparently, I'm not cool enough to "get" the humor in the film, nor am I a movie freak.Or, it could just be that I tend to be at the forefront of the backlash against anything that is cool or popular. I am a little late in the case of this movie, but better late than never. In the meantime, if you haven't seen this movie yet, do yourself a favor and watch this instead. It will save 1 hour and 35 minutes of your life....

UPDATE - Since this original post I have been told that I was supposed to watch this movie while stoned. That explains everything.

5 comments:

debz said...

ah, someday morgan, we're gonna have to learn you funny. maybe you're just too tense from having your blackberry on all the time? maybe your heart is three sizes too small? you are awfully grinchy. it's a damn shame.

chris said...

This coming from the guy that thought "Kung-Pow, Enter the Fist" was a funny movie.

Brian said...

I'll give Morgan credit for trying it. The same way I tried "Kung Pow." My IQ dropped about 30 points during the viewing.

mom said...

I had the same thoughts about your Naked Gun and the Airplane movies sweetie.

Welcome to my perspective number one son.

To each his own as they say!

Allison Bonner said...

dude, you just got put in your place by your mom...she's right though!