Sunday, June 25, 2006

Losing my touch

I am a Mac Evangelist. I spread the gospel, put Apple stickers on people's Dell and Gateway boxes in the middle of the night, and in general try to turn people from the dark side that is Micro$oft and Windoze. Of course, what comes with converting people over to OS X is the responsibility to be there for them when something goes wrong. I've spent more than a few weekends over the years helping people with their computer problems on my off time, something that a few of my co-workers and many people in my profession find utterly stupid. My position has always been however that I don't have all that many skills to make the world a better place, so I should use my knowledge of these particular computers to at least make some people's lives easier - especially when it comes to my co-workers. I have been doing it for a long time, and have never had a problem that I couldn't solve for someone....until today.

My fellow Packeteer B.J. (I advised him to go the Mac route a few years ago) came to me the other day with a problem he was having with iMovie and iDVD. He was trying to burn a DVD that he had been working on for over a year of his baby, Owen, and was having no luck. I gave him a few things to try, and he did so, but they didn't help. So I told him to bring his computer to work and I'd take a look at it (after hours of course, in case my boss is reading this :). I messed with it for a while, and still had no success. I took it home for the weekend, figuring that I'd fix his problem one way or the other. Well, after working on it all day long and completely re-creating his entire project from scratch on my own iMac....IT STILL WON'T WORK!!! My only guess is that one of the video clips that is being used is corrupted in some way.

I'm fairly sure that it isn't a problem with his computer, so I know that I shouldn't feel bad. Nonetheless, I still feel that I've let B.J. down :( he worked so hard on this project and wanted to be able to present it to his family so they could all share in the expereince of his child's first year. Heck, after working on this thing all day I kinda feel like part of the family myself! In that regard, I will do whatever is necessary to help him get this DVD made. Anything less and I might as well trade in all my Macs, go get my MCSE certification, and apply Windows security patches for the rest of my life. Ugh.

6 comments:

Mr. Webb said...

Hey Morgan,

I feel your pain!

Bryan

Anonymous said...

You are a good son!

Morgan Bonner said...

Thanks Mom :)

Morgan Bonner said...

Bryan! What's up man? When are you gonna come visit? We have made one or two changes to the place....heh....

debz said...

yeah, just another example that macs are not perfect--far from it!!
i will never come to the dark side. ...and there are many more of us...
whooohohohahahaaaaa

chris said...

Despite it all, I'm sure it's easier on a mac. Deborah don't know what she's yammering about.