Sunday, May 21, 2006

Now what?

Well we finally had the other shoe drop this weekend - despite my efforts to get my neighbors to rise up and fight the man, we were informed that Paramount Companies will generously allow us to buy our apartment for $105,000 dollars. We have 60 days to decide whether or not we will do so. I did not require 60 seconds to make said decision - they can take their "offer" and shove it directly up their ass. So now that we finally had that information, we set out on our quest to find a new home. We started with the next neighborhood down from us, The Townes at Buckwalter - a group of townhomes that were "meh" from the outside but inside were quite nice. There was one that we especially liked that had two bedrooms and a loft - I was struck by how much more space there was than what I am used to. We looked at a few others then sat down with the sales droid who was quite nice, but I couldn't quite shake the feeling that he saw us as fresh meat. Anyway, the asking price of the home was $180,000 - on the positive side, you get a hell-of-a-lot more for your extra $75,000 than you do at Summer Isle. On the negative side, the monthly payment, with tax and regime (a really good regime fee, which included water, sewer and homeowners insurance), came to a whopping $1408 per month. That's TWICE what we pay now in rent. We crunched the numbers and decided there was no way. Even if we could swing it, even if we never had any kind of emergency that required us to spend money - we'd literally be working just to pay for the car to take us to work and the house to live in because we can't live at work. I refuse to live my life like that. If I want to buy a $100 lightsaber once in a while, I should be able to do it.

Here's the problem people - $160,000 - $180,000 is as cheap as it gets in Bluffton. A quick check of the Sunday real estate section in the Packet confirms this. The cost of housing in this town has simply become too expensive to afford for families making $75,000 a year or less. How the hell did this happen? Bluffton is not Hilton Head - there's no ocean here. Are people willing to pay these insane prices for housing just so they can have a horrible 20-minute drive on one of the worst roads in the country to get to the beach??? I guess they are. Allison said that maybe we should just bend over and buy the apartment - after all, there doesn't seem to be anywhere else to go. But even if I decided it was worth compromising my principals and reward this company for it's disgusting behavior, we would still pay at least $150 more a month - FOR THE SAME PLACE!!!

So, that's where we are. I'm frustrated, angry, and I have no idea where my wife and I are supposed to go. Bluffton is my home, and I don't want to leave, but I'm not gonna sign my life away just to continue living here.

>>:0<<

3 comments:

Allison Bonner said...

I don't remember saying that we should "bend over", but idea is the same...

debz said...

For the love of Jebus, don't buy an apartment as your home. Buy a home. And I hate to say it, but I'm guessing the prices you quoted aren't that outrageous. Just don't make your payments through the creepy manager, but rather figure it out a plan with your bank. I have absolutely no house buying experience, but am a big believer in where-there's-a-will, there's-a-way.

Bill Wheatley said...

Move back to ocean city and see how horrid its becoming.