Thursday, January 12, 2006

From Russia with love

Today I was all excited to go to iTunes so I can check out the soundtrack to the new Underworld movie. I liked the music from the first one, so I was hopeful that I'd find something that I'd like. Well, I did - one song by Puscifer (whom, as far as I can tell, have only made two songs, and only for the Underworld soundtracks). Sadly, the songs aren't for sale individually. This seems to be happening with more and more albums these days. Obviously the record industry, whom we know for a fact hates their customers, is doing it's best to end the pay-per-song model that Apple has been using. This irritates me greatly. I want that song, but I don't want to pay $10 for it. Should I just give up and let the music companies screw me yet again, charging me $18 for something that costs them $2 to make? Or maybe I'll go pay a visit to my friends in Moscow - who thanks to the very enlightened Russian copyright laws, charge about 5 cents a song. I gave the Russian mafia ERRRR I mean the Russian music people money a while ago, when I was looking for a specific album that was only released in England. They charge you $20 upfront, and then deduct from your account with each song that you buy. I went through the entire catalog, bought more music in one week than I had in the previous year, and still had $11.30 left over. Took me forever to spend the rest of that money. I finally did, and then went back to iTunes. See, I don't mind paying $1 a song. That's what the music industry doesn't seem to get. I will pay them that - I won't pay them $2.50 for a song. Or $10 for an album full of songs I don't want just to get one that I do, like I did countless times before the days of the MP3 (aka, the dark times). And I sure as hell won't be paying them whatever they are charging for CD's these days. So if I can't buy a song that I want for $1, what does that leave me?

Dasvidana comrades.

3 comments:

Allison Bonner said...

you little communist...

Bill Wheatley said...

Russias no longer a communist country. And i know bones is aware he's violating US copyright laws becuase that site is only LEGAL to us in Russia :P.

But thats neither here nor there. I was thinking of using them after i heard about them on NPR months ago but never remembered the darn site. Thanks for the update bones. I"ll be "Breakin' the law" soon myself...3-0 skins...

crap nm 7 -3 seahawks.

Btw beavis and butthead is on dvd. Did you find out the days you will be free for a trip up to the bury?

Allison Bonner said...

i realize that russia is no longer a communist country...but that doesn't stop morgan from being a communist! he he he