Monday, June 06, 2005

Bonner family vacation


IMG_0723
Originally uploaded by morganbonner.
We have returned from Orlando, where we spent 3 days and 3 nights doing the amusement park thing. We went to Universal Studios, Islands of Adventure (if you ever ride the Dueling Dragons roller coaster, make sure you sit in the front row - it's worth it), and Downtown Disney. We also saw Cirque Du Soleil's "La Nouba". Now, if you've ever seen a Cirque show, you know that it defies description, so I won't bother trying to write one. I will say however, that even though it's not really up my alley, if you ever have the chance to see a performance, you owe it to yourself to go, just to say you saw it.

The highlight of the trip for yours truly would prolly have to be my first pilgrimage to an Apple Store. Since I generally tend to think of traveling the way I think of cancer, I had never made it to one before (still patiently waiting for one to open in Savannah - are you listening Steve?). It was a surreal experience being in that store, because of the knowledge that if I wasn't working as the Mac guy for the Island Packet newspaper, I'd be working at this store (well, not the Orlando store. Maybe Denver....). Anyway, I resisted the urge to walk out with a new iMac, even though they had plenty of them (they also had numerous iBooks...sorry Robyn!). I didn't come away empty handed though, as I bought a new power adapter for my PowerBook - I somehow managed to rip a hole in my old one during the trip, and also managed to give myself a good electrical shock in the process. Thankfully, I didn't set the hotel on fire. This time.

A good time was had by all. We could have had nicer weather, but for the most part, it was nice to get away for a little while and breathe some non-Packet air. The main thing I hate about going new places is the driving. I can't stand the stress of having to read a map, follow signs and drive in 5 lane traffic all at the same time. This time however, I had an ace in the hole - my GPS device worked wonders. Although it took us the long way to a couple of places, it always got us there. It really was like driving with someone who knew where they were going. It made the trip far less-stressful that it would have otherwise been for me. My geekdom and love of gadgets has finally paid off!

3 comments:

Anonymous said...

Yes, Cirque de Soliel! She's trying to get some CLASS into you, you nerf-herder!

Next, it's off to the opera for you, buddy! Go, Allison!

Obi de Soliel

Anonymous said...

Your geekdom and love of gadgets will finally pay off for me next Tuesday when I break into your car and swipe your GPS system.

HAHAHAHAHAHAHAHA!!!!

Morgan Bonner said...

Actually, whenever my car is opened without the key, those same GPS satellites will open fire on my car with their modulated pulse cannons. You will be instantly vaporized. Man, was that a bitch to get covered under my insurance...

Oh, and in case anybody is actually gonna break into my car, I keep the GPS with me at all times. So if you want it, you'll have to mug me.