Sunday, June 26, 2005

335 years of history in 1 hour

So we took a quick little trip to Charleston yesterday - specifically to see Batman Begins at the IMAX theater, but also to see a little of the city, which although my Mother claims that I have been there before, I have no memory of. To achieve this goal, we took a ride on one of their famous carriage tours.

We interrupt this post to bring you the following message - Horses smell. Bad. We now return you to Morgan's blog....

We were pulled through town by a couple of mules, all the while dodging traffic. The good people of Charleston undoubtedly are used to sharing their roads with Horses - the tourists are not. I have never been so close (I'm talking inches people) to on-coming traffic in my life. How more people aren't killed on those streets I have no idea....anyway, our pilot and tour guide was a friendly fellow, and quite humorous. He made one or two passing references to the "War of Northern Aggression" as well as talked our ears off about the 12,000 churches in the area ("any Methodists on board? Well, look over to your right...."), but overall it was pleasant and some of the historical places were quite interesting. I especially liked the hotel that we passed that he said both Robert E. Lee and Halle Barry stayed in. Not together, as far as they know.

No comments: