Friday, May 13, 2005

Temptation waits

Earlier this year, because of Allison's nice little education credit tax refund (thanks hon!) as well as my bonus for winning the Island Packet's Employee of the Year award, I was able to pay off most of my credit card debt. Given my unnatural love for gadgets and gizmos, I had amassed a wee-bit o' debt in the last few years. It felt great to be able to wipe it away in one shot (although giving them that much money at once made it very difficult to hit the "send" button). Anyway, for the last few months I've been enjoying not sending those folks their monthly payment. However, it seems as though they miss me a great deal - today I logged into to my accounts just to see that big flashing ZERO BALANCE that I love so much, but was instead greeted with NEW TOTAL CREDIT AVAILABLE. Clicking on the link showed that they had upped my limit by $1500!! Guess they want me to start using their card again eh? In one brief moment, this was now within my grasp, not to mention one (or both) of these (yes, I know - but I'd run Linux on it).

But something strange has happened to me recently - I seem to have no real desire to spend money. I mean, it's a Star Wars year, so there's the requisite lightsaber and action figure purchases, but I'm talking big-ticket items here. What I'd really like to do is attempt to be disciplined enough to save up that money I had been paying to creditors monthly and pay off my car when it's lease is up in September of 2007. This of course, is quite a ways away, and there will be all kinds of new stuff that I simply must have in the meantime. But I think I can do it. Should the unthinkable happen and I'm still updating this blog 2 1/2 years from now, I'll have to remember to post on the day I pay off my car.

Oh, and memo to Visa - go to hell. You have gotten enough of my money already you greedy jerks.

3 comments:

allison said...

ya, right you'd run linux! i know your dirty little secret...

Morgan Bonner said...

It's not too late for me to take that Winblows box away and make you do all your AutoCAD work at school dear....

Bill Wheatley said...

So you gave up on yoru Discover card only dream?

Do you stille ven have your discover card? I am close to getting a merchant account for my hosting company i'm thinking of accepting discover card.